Saturday, August 27, 2005

Evan...I am Your Father!!!





Being a dad is really fun. I would like to say that it was always like this, but I must admit that for the first, oh, year or so of Evan's life I wondered if he would ever want to do anything with me. We were very much into attachment parenting and Kim was nursing him and it was our first child, so I had no idea really what it would be like.

Well, each month had a little more for daddy to do with Evan. He became less and less of a mommy's boy and more and more of a daddy's boy. Then the inevitable happened...he discovered my old Star Wars toys. It was at this moment that I realized exactly how cool it was to be a dad. Now I had someone to play with again!! To re-live all the fun times that I had as a boy growing up. We had all my old toys out and he played with all of them: Star Wars, Hot Wheels, G.I. Joe...you name it.

The only problem is that it seemed like I missed the first year of his life. I was so caught up in waiting for Evan to "do something" that I totally forgot about the joys of everyday life with a little infant.

So, when Elliot was born, I took in each and every moment he had as an infant. They grow up so fast, I just couldn't believe it that before long Evan and Elliot were playing together. And of course, Elliot likes the same things that Evan likes, which are the same things that I like, so again, here I am re-living my youth through my children.

Now we have Drew. At almost 4 months old, he is certainly a handful. It is a challenge: Evan was 3 when Elliot was born and he was totally potty trained. Elliot was 2 when Drew was born, so he is not as mature as Evan was, nor is he as independant. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love being a parent. I love my family. I love playing with the boys, as you can tell from the picture.

God is Good.

No comments: