Monday, October 26, 2009

Mark 9:24

I've been thinking about this post since last week, when Casa Doyle (minus one) came to join us for dinner.  While the kids were playing, Alice, Kim and I were discussing Faith.  I don't recall the exact train of thought that this caboose was on, but somehow we got on to the subject of the "Gospel of Prosperity" that we sometimes hear today.  "God wants you to be successful.  God wants you to be financially well off." 

This sort of "preaching" also usually refuses to acknowledge suffering of any sort.  Suffering should be avoided at all costs.  Suffering is not something to deal with.  In fact, if you just have enough faith, all of your ailments will be healed.  And that is what our conversation zeroed in on.

I listen to KSBJ every day during my commute, and one day the morning DJ mentioned that his daughter is suffering with multiple issues, but they are praying every day for a complete and total healing.  Callers were calling in expressing their prayers, and others to say that they had this or that ailment, but God healed them completely.  The DJ asked one girl who had been struggling with an illness for some time if she could pinpoint when exactly she was healed.  The girl replied that when she really believed that God would heal her, that's when the healing came.

There is something about that statement that really strikes a chord with me.  There's a song on KSBJ right now by Addison Road called "What Do I Know of Holy" that puts it well in the second verse:

"I guess I thought that I had figured You out,
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about,
How You were mighty to save,
But those were only empty words on a page..."
We have all heard stories of out of miraculous healings happening, and as Christians, we believe that God, the Creator of all things, has power over His creation, including the power to cure the incurable disease.  The question then becomes, "why doesn't God heal everyone?"  Is it really, as the girl on the radio said, tied to our faith?

The title of this post is from Mark, and Mark speaks a lot about our faith.  It is here that we find that Jesus is unable to perform any miracles in Nazareth because of the lack of peoples' faith (Mark 6:1-6).  So, it seems there is some scriptural evidence to the young woman's claim.


So, does that mean that if you are praying for a healing and it doesn't come, that your faith is lacking?  I don't believe that, and I turn to the story of Lazarus in the Gospel of John for my reasoning.  When Jesus hears that Lazarus is sick, he doesn't immediately go to him.  Instead Jesus waits for two days before leaving to go be with Lazarus, and by the time Christ was in Bethany, Lazarus was dead.  Jesus loved Lazarus (John 11:3), so why would he wait?  Because He was going to use the situation to Glorify the Father (John 11:4), and strengthen the disciples' belief (John 11:15).

How many times have we said with Martha and Mary, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died"?  Brother, Sister, Son, Daughter, Father, Mother, Husband, Wife?  But He IS with us, and He will not forsake us.

So what is my point to this whole post?  I fall into the category of believers that maintain God can perform miracles, but usually chooses not to, not based on our lack of faith, but on the good that will be born of suffering.  God will not leave us.  His hand is always leaving fingerprints on our situations.  But, basically, "don't expect a miracle."  It bothers me that I fall into this category.  I feel like I've mailed in the chance for my faith to move mountains (Matthew 17:20.) 

So I say along with the boy's father in Mark 9:24, "Lord, I do believe, help my unbelief!"

4 comments:

Alice said...

Chad--I too have been thinking about this topic daily since our conversation. It comes to mind especially when I am reading to the girls from one of our religion books "Jesus' Miracles". I'd love to talk more about this but one thing I know is that God always performs miracles for those who love Him. The problem is that we only consider it a miracle when it meets our criteria of miraculous healings etc. Many times it's the miracle of eyes once blind being opened or the healing of hearts because of the troubling situation. God is always more concerned with souls than bodies. Maybe miraculous bodily healings would make us think of God more as a magician than a loving Father. Maybe it would make people superstitious and so focused on their own will in the situation that it would be bad for their souls. I don't know. I do know that I have witnessed things that I call miracles in my own life even if they are sometimes unnoticed by others.
Keep bringing it as a part time philosopher. Should we start a club?

christina said...

duuuuude. mitch and i talk about this ALL the time! The smiling preacher never talks of suffering because, ya know, it's UNCOMFORTABLE. And for us, this last year esp. struck us as far as suffering is GOOD for the body of Christ. if we are called to be LIKE CHRIST, christians, then we should be ready for the suffering of Christ.

One of the things on KSBJ that gets to me quite often is how there is very little about how God still moves in the times we didn't get "our preferred answer." I've heard time and again how Great God is BECAUSE He healed them, etc. how about how great God IS? He is still great even tho our baby girl died. He is still. He is always..no matter the outcome.

preach on, brotha!
even tho we don't hang out, it's comforting to know we have similar conversations. :)

Alice said...

I thought I'd add one more thing--much as I like KSBJ, it's not Catholic so their theology etc. is not quite on target.
I have a couple of close friends who are protestants and I love them and have some things in common with them but at the end of the day, they're still missing out on the Pope, the sacraments, the intercession of Mary, the saints...in other words, they don't even have the big picture in which to discuss suffering.
That's all for now...

christina said...

they do play Matt Maher, tho! So it's something! :) He had an intimate concert there about a month ago and actually told the audience he was catholic. i was half expecting the crowd to start whispering "but..he knows so much scripture, that can't be right!?" :)