Sunday, April 26, 2009

...ooh, babe, you'll always be baby to me...

All due respect to Pink Floyd, but I feel a strong connection with the song 'Mother' and can easily substitute 'Daddy' as the title. The fact is that no matter how much my children grow, they'll always be my babies. I'm at that awkward intersection of life when I can vividly recall being Evan's age, yet here I am on the other side of the dynamic. Strange and wonderful at the same time. I can remember my mom telling me that I'll always be her baby (me being the youngest of the family) and now I see what she means. Watching Evan, Elliot and Drew maturing and doing more and more each day is amazing. Especially when it comes to watching Evan play ball. I'm having to let go a little bit at a time and it's hard. I want to be the supportive parent, but don't want him to feel pressure to impress me. There's a fine balance to be made.

With that being said, we are fast approaching Drew's 4th birthday and I just marvel at his growth every day. He is such a 'big boy' and I am blessed to have as strong a connection with him as I have with all my other boys. Like Evan before him, there was a time when I wondered if Drew would ever want to have anything to do with ol' dad. We stressed a bit because he was still sleeping in our bed when Kim was pregnant with Dylan, but we eventually succeeded in moving him to Evan and Elliot's room and now it seems like he's always been there. He certainly growing fast and I don't want to miss a moment.

Here's a glimpse of the years gone by:

Drew celebrates 1 year at Gran and Pop's house, 2006.

Taking in an Astros game in 2007.

Playing in the sprinklers, 2008.


Exploring the Peach Creek Bridge during the Cub Scout Camp Trip, 2009.
HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY DREW!!!!



No comments: